Hello and welcome to Wells Class.
I hope that you find this information useful to support your child and their learning. Furthermore, it gives you an insight into the day to day learning that takes place within the classroom. Mr Hancock, Mrs Pollard and Mrs Sargent make up the Wells Class team. We work closely together to ensure that all the children are engaged, curious and active learners who enjoy their time in school.
Here are a few pointers to ensure your child is organised for learning.
- Your child will need to bring a water bottle every day.
- They may bring a sensibly sized pencil case, no felt-tip pens please, glitter gel pens or scented pens, as children are not permitted to use them in their books.
- Children can bring a snack for break time - this does not include chocolate biscuits or bags of crisps: a healthy snack such as fruit or veg not highly processed food. We also encourage children to have in school a further healthy snack with them to have as part of a brain break in the afternoon.
- PE kits should be in school at all times. Our PE sessions are on a Wednesday morning, with an additional session on Thursday afternoons.
- Homework is set on Fridays and is due in the following Wednesday. If homework is handed in late, it may not be possible for it to be marked. If your child struggles with something, please help if you can and make note so that I can address it.
- Information about homework activities will be shared with you both on a weekly paper sheet & here in the 'Homework' section.
- Their homework books, including their school reading book should be in a named plastic zip book bag.
- Spellings will be tested weekly on Mondays. There are opportunities to practice and consolidate these spelling-focused words in class, but a few minutes practise each day at home will support learning further.
- All children across the school completed an assessment for starting the Schofield & Sims Mental Arithmetic books. Their individual results have informed us which book they should start on or continue with. We will continue to review each child’s progress during the year.
- Times tables practise remains important. Children inside their 'Pink' homework books should have their TT Rockstars log-in details.
- RMEasimaths - Inside the cover of the Pink book the various children’s logins will be stuck. If possible, the children could complete a Maths challenge and try logging into the site for 15 minutes. We have been aiming to log in whilst in school twice a week.
- Reading books can be changed daily. Please can the children be encouraged to read for at least 20 minutes every day. This could be reading to an adult aloud. Independent reading followed by discussing the pages they have read to develop their comprehension and understanding. Or sharing a book whilst reading together.
The onus is very much on the children to ensure they try their best to complete their homework tasks. However, if your child has difficulty with any aspects of homework please let me know, so that I can look into supporting them with their tasks.
We are very much looking forward to a successful year in Wells class and working together in this lower phase of Key Stage 2.
'If you fell down yesterday, stand up today.' H.G. Wells