The Department for Education are continuing to award a PE and Sports grant to schools this year.
Schools can choose how they use the funding, for example to:
- hire specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers during PE lessons
- support and involve the least active children by running after-school sports clubs and holiday clubs, e.g. the Change4Life clubs
- provide resources and training courses in PE and sport for teachers
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools
You can find details of the funding for each school here https://www.gov.uk/pe-and-sport-premium-for-primary-schools
Since September 2013, Ofsted inspections report on PE and sport provision and on how schools spend their additional funding.
The Government also holds schools accountable by requiring them to publish by April 2014, on their websites, details of how they spend (or will spend) their PE and sport grant. Schools must also include detail about the impact this funding has on pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment.